Thursday, January 17, 2008

The First Time

Lately here at the Big Raggedy, I've been drawing reporters that were given their first assignment. I remember when Cheryl Mercedes first got here and we got sent to a lady being arrested for not housing some of patients properly. A short while after that, Caroline Moses and I were asked to do a story on this bus driver who found a wondering baby along her route. Ironically, this was C-line's first assignment at the B.R. also. I didn't get to work with Tyana Williams and Keitha Nelson when they first got here for some reason but it all returned on Wed. My lovely assignment editor informs me that I'll be doing the sports live shot with young Erin Cofiell. Who's that you ask? Erin come to us from the "Peacock". A rival station in town with more issues than Sports Illustrated. Anyway, Erin's been assigned to preview the LSU basketball game for the early show. To do this she got to do a live shot. Just one catch, she's never done a live shot before. Naturally she excited but nervous as well. My advice, the same I give to every reporter, relax. I'll take care of the hard part. This one wasn't hard to pull off just a few more obstacles to deal with. First the she wasn't getting IFB to the truck. No problem. Just pulled out the old cell phone got an earpiece and IFB to the station was good. I had forgotten a monitor. Good thing X Ray Ted had my back. He got one to me and we were in business or so we thought. Weren't able to get a signal to the monitor in the arena. Got my personal phone and dialed in to hear programming just in case. Time for the shot and she's into it. Nerves are starting to die down. Words are flowing. Everything's going without a hitch. Not bad for her first one and like all of us we'll get better in time.
I wonder what the "Peacock" was thinking when she popped up on the air. Shot's over time to go home. Time pick up all my stuff including the cable. Now that was the hard part.


3 comments:

Oreo said...

"All that cable." That's why we flew some in and left it there. With the fiber hookup, we don't even need a truck! Just plug in and go.

Senator's Forum said...

I wish we would do that. Makes life a whole lot better. May need legislation in the spending bill, did you know?

Anonymous said...

Senator,

If the TV gig doesn't work out for the lovely Miss Cofeill, I'm sure that there's a place on the Senate staff for her....did you know?

And let's not mess with restricting the Ruth's Chris gift cards during the Special Session!

Russell Drewry
Senator, North Rampart District