Monday, May 17, 2010

Jedi Knights of the Red Stick

The year was 1977. I was a young child just starting life. My mom took me to one the of old movie theaters in the city to catch the vision of George Lucas know as Star Wars. I was a no more than year old and I must admit that I had no recollection of seeing Darth Vader on the big screen. After gaining a few more years and a grasp of Rebel Alliance doing battle with the Galactic Empire, I caught every movie and television show there was. From Empire Strikes Back to Revenge of the Sith I watched every saber duel, every dramatic twist, every Ewok dance, and every Yoda-ism as the battle between good and evil raged on in a galaxy far far away.

Fast forward to last weekend’s Live After Five concert. The band was rocking, the crowd danced like there was no tomorrow, and the heat was bearable. Just another weekly get together in the concert series. So as I was setting up my shot for the five pm show who would show up but these guys. Characters from some of my favorite movies are in the Red Stick. Leaping off the big screen into the newscast while promoting their upcoming concert. Anakin, Leia, and a couple of Republic Troops took some time to entertain the crowd and bring back memories of the time I first saw the Death Star get blown up. We all wanted an X Wing Fighter to fly in. As I stand shoulder to shoulder with these guys, I can’t help but think that the role of Jedi Knight and Photographer are one in the same. The constant training and use of ideas to better ourselves. The daily traveling from one side of the world to other. Not to mention the use of Mind Tricks to help tell stories to fill the newscasts. Don’t think we’ll ever get to use Lightsabers. Shotgun mics with fuzzy windscreens is the best I am going to do.

For now I will have to settle with the impromptu meet and greet, don’t know if can get tickets for the event. However as sweeps continues, be mindful I sense a disturbance in the Force.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

u do know they were not the original actors right??? moron!!
xray ted

Anonymous said...

I don't remember the Princess with such large cans!!! Just an observation. xray

Senator's Forum said...

Did I say the actors? And yes that is a good observation, did you know?