Saturday, April 17, 2010

Eyes Of A Child

When I tell people that I shoot the news for television the usual response I get is that you must see a lot. They have no idea. Lately the video of the day have been shootings, fatal traumas, and more shootings. The backdrop has consisted of flashing lights, hysterical citizens, and a whole lot of yellow crime tape. Today was no different. After filling more than the allotted time in the A block, I’m sent over to the Red Stick’s latest causality. It’s a neighborhood on the eastern part of the city, one that hasn’t seen any kind of criminal activity in a while until now. However, mass quantities of violent behavior have been the norm here. I roll up to the scene, break out the fancy cam and get some pictures. Police surveying the area, CSI is collecting evidence, and residents’ wondering what in the world is going on. My thoughts the world is going to hell in a hand basket. There is more concern for materialistic things than human life. There are people who want to inflict their lost will without regard for others. There is not enough compassion on the planet.

After grabbing the video for the news I drop to a knee and reflect on what is going on. Suddenly I feel a little tap on my shoulder. It’s one of the neighborhoods little residents. Standing there with ball in his hand and a look of concern in his eyes. Guess not being able to play in front of your house because of death will do that to you. He doesn’t ask me my name but he says something that catches me off guard…

“I hate crime scenes”.

All I could say was, “me too kid”. Some powerful words from someone so young. Someone who should be playing with his friends not dodging bullets. Someone who should be looking forward to life not fearing it will be cut short by another’s recklessness. I think that this kid is done with seeing the world through the flashing lights of a police cruiser. Maybe there’s hope for this world seems like the next generation has had enough of senseless death & destruction being the norm.

No comments: