Sunday, May 15, 2011

Skate Like A Girl

Some will break your heart. Others will just break you in half. All live a fast life where left turns and hip checks are the way of the land. They are tough. They are quick. They are determined to knock out any obstacle, or any one, that would dare get in their way of total dominance of a flat track. There are sugar, they are spice, and they could probably kick your ass. It’s a good thing that I’m such a lovable character. I mean how else you think I could get this close to the ladies of Red Stick Roller Derby. Actually it was by chance. That and a tour of a famous house in Downtown B.R. got me access to a hidden gem in the Capital City.

Who knew three years ago that the ongoing revival of a sport, thought more of as entertainment during the 70’s and 80’s, would be enjoying success and while creating a loyal core of fans wanting lots of action from ladies dawning alter egos while wearing a pair of roller skates. The action is grueling. It is intense. It is fierce. It’s something right up my alley. You ask what the fixation between me and the Derby Ladies?

We all know my curiosity. I always feel that there is more than meets the eyes. So the five month trek began. From the Baton Rouge, to Lafayette, then Houston I followed them to see what made this revival of a sport so popular. Questions that can be answered best by those whose experience it. Questions like why do you do this? What do you do when the skates aren’t laced up?

It took awhile for all of this to come together and judging by all the reviews it was worth the energy.



1 comment:

Sarah Ferstel said...

Great job on the video!