Thursday, September 25, 2008

Clean Up in the News Room

No, no, no. Nobody wasted their drink or knocked their microwave dinner on the newsroom carpet, thank goodness that didn't happen.

It was just another clean up of 1:30 that was scheduled to hit the airwaves across the homes in the Big Raggedy viewing area. But first some backstory.

Call comes into the station that a cable guy, working in his bucket truck, accidentally shocked himself by touching wire. So KN and I rush out and hit the street. It was either this or shoot people putting karaoke bars out of business by playing Rock Star on PS3. I think the guy in the bucket truck getting hit by some serious voltage is the bigger story. We get to scene find out that he was transported to the hospital but will be alright. Now find some people who saw it go down, get the work crews in action, and take care of the hole in newscast.

I was just about sit down and edit the lead until my lovely 10pm producer walks in with the Bat Signal flashing in the sky. She needs me to go a Subway restaurant that caught fire. KN, my reporter, would have to pick up the editing for this one. No prob. I left enough for her to work with. Few good sound bites, couple of nat stabs, throw in some sequences story done.

After shooting the fire, and no the rival sandwich franchise was not involved, the signal goes up again. This time KN needs me. "Rob, I know I did a good job. But I think you can do a better one". Looks like I'm going to have to tighten the story up a little. No fault of her own it was a rush job, story was slated for the 9pm show also. Since I had some time it was no big deal. I watch the version that aired, changed a couple of sequences, added a little more sound at the top, and I was satisfied. Good enough to fill 1:30.

A little fine tweaking never hurt anyone.

No comments: