Saturday, February 7, 2009

Candles for Kaitlin

Improvise. That was the password last night. Here is the scenario. Two late newscasts, one anchor, no reporters, and the lack of a lead story. Don't know how we are going to get through this one but improvisation is going to take center stage.

Then Memphis, the 10pm producer, informs me of my assignment. "Need you to go to a candlelight vigil". "Alright. Where is it", I replied. "It's in French Settlement. It's a vigil for Kaitlin Aydell". That's a name that I haven't heard in a long time but some stories stay with you long after they air.

The last time I saw the Aydells was in a Livingston courtroom. Danette, Kaitlin's mom, was getting justice. And it was a long time coming. Now it was time for reflection.

As the fire was passed around and words of comfort were spoken you got a sense that something unique was happening. You felt that someone with a good heart and playful spirit was encouraging everyone to be strong. We'll all get into the heavens one day. Once the hugs went around everyone was showing their thanks for us being there.

Unfortunately, my work was just getting started. The Raggedy was a good half hour away with the 10pm looming. As I'm driving back thoughts of a nat piece was being edited in my head but it wasn't needed. Turns out that Ms. Mercedes, who covered the story from pillar to post, had a script drawn out for us. All we had to do now was get the sound in to tell the story.

No comments: