Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Working on the B-Day

It all started with a wake up call at 5:30. The voice on the other tells me, “It’s somebody’s birthday today. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday, dear Robert. Happy Birthday to you”. For long as I can remember, my mom would start my day on May 20 and it is always a pleasant beginning.

My birthday falls during sweeps and asking for the day off is blasphemy in the eyes of the news gods. No problem I just knew it was going to be a good day.

After checking the Bat Phone and the Facebook pages for the many birthday wishes, thank you all for the kind words, it was time to head to the Raggedy to help fill some time in the newscasts. No big deal, I’ll just play the cards on the table and go from there. So after the Kidd and I finish our assignment of the day I remember a feature on the sheet that wasn’t far from us. Normally I would just want to head back after finishing my assignment but I figure let’s help some more. I figured the Turd would be stuck in an edit bay applying some postproduction polish on a sweeps story that took awhile to put together.

So I grab the for mentioned Bat Phone to let the Turdpolisher know I’m in the area and can pick up that feature he wasn’t fond of. He responds, “Man I can kiss you”. “No need for that Senator. I don’t want to make the STW upset”, I replied. “You’re probably right. Thanks again”, he said. The words of the Turd were priceless at that moment.

So what, or in this case who, is the feature you ask of?
She is the feature of the day.This is lovely Grace Espinosa. She works at the local Hooters and is a finalist for their Calendar Girl of the Year competition. As intelligent, as she is beautiful she is continuing her campaign to be the face of a global phenomenon. It looks like she’s come to the right people. The Raggedy has a reputation for jumpstarting web traffic with mere mentions on the evening news. Besides, I’m no stranger to campaigns myself.
Even though I had to work, it was still a great day.
I’ll have to try to make it a holiday next year, did you know?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It still doesn't beat shooting Donna's Kickers. Oh how I love how she explains all the video to the audience. We are so stupid and cant figure out what we are seeing.

Anonymous said...

NIce to hear from you CA.