Saturday, February 9, 2008

Didn't See It Coming

I know you are to always expect the unexpected in this business. But there's something that will catch you off guard. Yesterday while I was alseep, the phone rangs. On the other end was the station,"I would not do this to you if I didn't have to. I need you to go to a shooting at the Tech College on Acadian". That just jolted me with some adrenline but it also got the worse case scenerio going through my head. Trying to get focused I head out there trying to keep that scenerio in the back part of my mind. When I got to the scene that's when it hit me. First thing I saw was the Coronor Van. The worst case was unfolding. Multiple shots fired. The smell of gun powder lingering in the hallway. Three people dead. Two of them were there trying to further their education. A campus in mourning. A city is shock and disbelief. All from one senseless act.

I'm at the scene doing my job. Trying not to get add any more tension to an emotional charged scene. Later in the day one of victims fmaily members comes up to us. We offer our sorrows to them. I really don't like meeting people under these circumstances. They invite over to their place wanting to tell us about their love one. We talk, take some picutres, and talk some more. All they want is for us to tell everyone that she was a good person that just wanted to be a nurse. A senseless act takes away two people who wanted to make a difference in the world. We head back and do our part in the healing process. It's a small part but every bit helps.


My thoughts and prayers are with you all that was affected by this. Maybe one day we can make sense of it all.


1 comment:

The Faith Fuser said...

i like when you put it that way...that we're helping grieving families heal...good stuff...as usual! =)