Saturday, March 28, 2009

Stuck In St. Amant

I knew it was going to be a long day. It all started with a midnight phone call from the newsroom. The B.F.R. 9000 was lighting up more than a tilted pinball machine. The second wave of severe weather was rolling through the area and St. Amant was the target.

After getting my marching orders, I headed to area to see what I could find. This is nothing new when it comes to looking for storm damage. Watch for down power lines and trees in the road way while trying not to get stuck in the impact zone. All signs pointed to a funnel cloud touching down. Once I shoot everything my light can make visible it was time to head back to ranch. The dayside crews would pick up the coverage after I helped us get a head start on the competition. But there was a strange feeling that I would be back here for some plan to be drawn up in the afternoon meeting.
I should have placed a wager using some of AIG's stimulus money on this one. A live shot was in the works with one of the anchors fronting the pieces. It was a foolproof plan except that the fate of an entire A Block was being placed in "Old Mobile 9". This truck has had more issues than a magazine subscription. However it's biggest claim to fame is crapping out when you need it the most. I try to avoid it like the plague unfortunately it was the only truck that could get a decent signal out of the area we were going to. So I load and head out. Not far from the location the truck starts shaking as I hit the accelerator. Then it happens, she dies on me. I make the call to the station informing them the live shots won't happen. Then I'm guessing that a second funnel cloud has formed in the newsroom because the plan isn't going to happen.
It's not the first time this truck has thrown a wrench in the operation. Better call for a wrecker then find a ride home. At least the weather is improving.

1 comment:

turdpolisher said...

they need to put thebeast out of our misery. great shots.