Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sneaux Watch 2009

I’m not going to lie to you. I am confused about the calendar. I have to check to make sure that it is December. I have to make sure that it is time of year to put up the lights and decorate the Christmas tree. However, lately you would think that it is Groundhog Day and Bill Murray is going to pay you a visit.

It was December of last year. One of the top stories of 2008 was happening, again. Mother Nature was gracing us with a rare white blanket of snow across the Big Raggedy and the rest of the viewing area. I remember waking up to neighbors with smiles from ear to ear of a unique occurrence in South Louisiana. People were saying that this was an event that they may never see again.

Fast forward to this week. The BFR 9000 was busier than usual. A blast of frigid air was making its way across the country bringing some wintery mixtures with a slim chance of ….snow? Snow two years in a row how often does this happen? Granted it has been a year of weather events for us. No hurricanes making landfall in the state, thank God. Then there was the funnel cloud that sent peeps into a flood of chaos, thankfully it never touched ground. But snow in back to back years?

So I loaded up the car, threw on a cap, and went in search of the latest wintery cloth. My initial findings yielded nothing but doubt and frustrations. I’m serious there was nothing to be had. Just a constant bombardment of wind and rain. My gut was telling me that this wasn’t going to happen. Yeah it’s cold but it’s not cold enough for snow. Starting to feel like I was chasing ghosts from every dead lead that was being flooded into the newsroom. People were mistaking the sleet for the white stuff. Can’t be too mad them. Like I said this doesn’t happen often down here.

News time was drawing near and I had to set up a live hit in the parking lot. Thinking to myself that this was a lot of hype for nothing. There are going to be a lot of disappointed peeps out there. No sooner than I plugged in the lights and dialed the IFB it happened. The rain had stopped and the night sky opened up. Snow had started to fall on the streets. Better late than never. It was time to grab the fancy cam and roll off a few pictures. Even though we weren’t going to get the blanket from last year I’m sure peeps all over bundled up, grabbed the cameras, and cherished the moment.

As for me, I was able to play in the snow for a little while however I don't know if we’ll go for the hat trick next year?

No comments: