Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Man it's quiet...

First off big thanks to Tyana and D-Money for watching the Bat Cave while I was out. I owe you guys one. Now to tonight. There isn't JACK going on. Ms. KN & I shot a story that's gonna air tomorrow and that's it. Pokkie & Ray Ray must be chillin with all the heat rollin around the B.R. Haven't heard much from Cletus & Billy Bob either.

So with nothing going on I thought I would take a trip down memory lane. It was Memorial Day weekend, 2oo5. I was planning on doing nothing when my phone rang. "Big Rob", it was the station. "I know you are suppose to be off but the weekend photographer isn't feeling well. Can you come in because we have to send him home". Great there goes my day. So I head on in to meet up with Cyndi Nguyen, former Big Raggedy reporter. She's now working in the Big Easy, more on that at another time. Quick check of the sheet, robbery near a Post Office, couple of other VO's to pick up. So I ask, "What's the PKG?" "Rob", Cyndi says, "Brace yourself. We're doing the Memorial Day Weekend travel story". I'm thinking to myself this has been done millions of times over. Talk to State Police, maybe couple of people at a gas station, a few shot of the interstate, and we fill 90 seconds of TV.

Not the case, turns out we we able to add our own little twist to this one. At the time, local law enforcement did a DWI checkpoint the night before. We weren't able to get to that one but I had shot one before and for some reason I held on to the tape. So we go and interview TFC. Johnnie Brown, with State Police, and there's one angle out of the way. Next we grab some shots of the interstate, story is starting to come together. We couldn't find any travelers at the gas stations for some reason. Turns out people weren't really traveling that far. No problem. Just stay focused Rob the story is going to be good. We head back to the station, and over the scanner --"10 East bound is being shut down to one lane". We get law enforcement in action. I head out there and a truck has lost it's load. State Troopers at work, traffic slowed down , and a good opportunity to get some more video for this story. But as I come back, it hits me. An idea for a cool stand up. "But Rob I don't want to do a stand up" she says. I reply, "Trust me, it's gonna be cool".

Here's the story, tell me what you think.


4 comments:

turdpolisher said...

Cool stand-up. Thought I had seen it before till the last shot. You got me.

Oreo said...

Yep, that was a good one. I've seen that shot of the interstate from the overpass recently, though, haven't I? No harm in that.

Senator's Forum said...

Thank you guys. I had doubts going in but this one turned out to be one of my favorite stories.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.