Saturday, January 31, 2009

100 and Counting

It's no secret, I admire history. The thrill of capturing the once in a lifetime moment. The event where you can, "I was there". So it has to something of great importance to get me to work on the weekend. "LSU is celebrating 100 years of Basketball and sports needs some help", the desk told me. I sense a special in the works.

So as I claim a spot on the floor I see pages of history moving up and down the floor in the house that Marivich built. Then I get a text message, "Make sure Hi C looks goods". XRAY TED was in the house. He was more of the LSU Basketball historian than I. Too bad I missed getting a shot of him in the stands. I guess he just want to soak in the moment.

As for me, I knew of some of the success the program had but knowledge of the glory days was before my time. That and the fact I wasn't really into basketball.

The all time leading scorer in college basketball was a no brainer. Then there were the others. The player who led the school in rebounds, the kid who's game winning shot got the Tigers to the '86 Final Four, and the young man who broke the color barrier.

It was a sight to see. 16 of the All Time Greats. Their names forever linked in the lore of Tiger Basketball. Like I said before, I admire history.

No comments: