Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Decade Of Legislation

Time – noun

1. the system of those sequential relations that any event has to other as past, present, or future
2. a particular period considered as distinct from other periods
3. a period with reference to personal experience of a specified kind

The year was 1999. April was in full swing. The highly anticipated Y2K fallout gained momentum. In addition, I had started working here at the Big Raggedy. I was lucky. While still in school, I was able to continue my career in television. Most people do not know is that the Big Raggedy is my second job. I actually started at the local Peacock doing studio production. I did shoot some video while running into crews from the Raggedy as well as the folks over on Highland. One of those run ins was at a rally over at Southern University. They were protesting about a chemical company not far from the campus disposing of Napalm. However, I got to talking with a reporter by the name of Meg Casper. She tells me that there is an opening over at the “ 9”. Its part time and you work weekends. The gears are rolling in my head. Instantly start weighing my options. I can go to school during the week, work the weekends, and continue building on the foundation that is my career. Opportunity knocked all I had to do was open the door.

That tip let to a resume tape. That tape led to an interview. That interview led to the hiring of some college kid who had no idea what he was getting into. However, opportunity knocked, I answered, and the rest is history.

As I look through my collection of press passes and photo albums, it is not just history but also some great memories. From shooting countless number of school board meetings to rolling on house fires in the nice part of town. GS would go wild when those came across the scanners. From chasing some of the worse criminals in town to chasing some of the worse storms in history. Its days without lunch that eventually led to sleepless nights. It is the news. Some of its good yet some of it is bad. For every ribbon cutting there was a wreck clogging up the road. For every feature story there was quality time at the courthouse. For every championship run, there was an election that would not end. In addition, of course there were the three month camp outs in the House the Huey erected. I could not resist.

However, it is not the stories that I shot or edited. It’s the people that I have met over the years. It’s the people that helped me grow not only as a professional but also as a person. It’s not just my blood family but my television family. It is Jen in Birmingham, Matt in the Mile High City, and Cyndi over in the Big Easy. It’s Julie, Victor, Marie, C-Line, Yoda, D-$$$, JV, Avery, Spike, the NP, KN, Cheryl, Meeks, and the Turdpolisher. Hell even XRAY TED played a part in all of this. The bonds we share will never be broken. Our friendships will be forged forever in time.

This is not a farewell address. Trust me I’m not going anywhere. Only God can make that call.

This is a note of gratitude. Thank you to everyone who has made me better. Thank you for the wonderful work we have done and will do. Most importantly thank you to all for simply putting up with the madness that I will sometimes bring to the table.

Moreover, if I didn’t mention you before please forgive me. It’s been ten years. There are just so many names to say but remember that I am the fortunate one. I am fortunate to be blessed with so many good people in my life.

So far, it’s been one crazy ride and I’m enjoying every second of it, did you know?

4 comments:

turdpolisher said...

damn dewd. you planning a long walk off the uss kidd?

regardless of how you look at it. the folks in this business are a special breed. everyone touches you in some way, good, bad, or like that catholic priest in grade school. keep the tape rolling and your video head dry. i'll bring the weeines to the next courthouse gathering.

Senator's Forum said...

No Sena-turd. That's not in the cards.

Just showing my thanks to everyone in this crazy business.

And I looking forward to the cookout at the courthouse, did you know?

Anonymous said...

Just call me the Federal Government! I bail yo big ass out daily!!!! xray

Senator's Forum said...

XRAY ten years and that the best you can do? A decade later and you are still pathetic.

If you bail me out then why do I always hear, "Big Rob, Big Rob. Am I doing this right"? Or, "Big Rob you got some video of this place"? And when the Bat Phone rings with you on the other end on some road trip asking how to power the computer.

Do more than just turn on the studio lights. BTW nice shadow in your drug shopping story.