Saturday, November 21, 2009

Death Valley Drop Zone

My mom once told me that you have to be open to doing new things in life.
Whether it’s going to some place new for vacation. Or ordering something different off the menu from your favorite restaurant. However, scaling down the wall of the ninth largest college stadium in the country? That’s a new one. First things first….

Using some creative techniques the local chapter of the Special Olympics decided to have a unique fundraising event this month. For $1000, you had the opportunity to rappel down the East Side of Tiger Stadium. I had to see this. People came from as far as Florida to take advantage of this once in a lifetime event. All we had to do was be patient. Wait for the right person to descend down the wall of Death Valley. As luck would have it we found a very good person who not only wanted to help the athletes but conquer her own fear as well. So after checking out the skyline I started thinking…
How often will I get a chance to do something like this. Granted I’m not going to swinging around like Spider Man but still a chance to scale down the wall, I had to take advantage of this.
After inking the standard waiver and a quick training session it was time for the big one. I get the final instructions and it was time tame the wall. I slowly climb over the edge absorbing the initial feeling of my feet dangling 150 feet in the air and I think to myself, how crazy yet cool is this. Then I look to my left to see a great view of the football field. Yeah it was worth it.

As my feet make their way back to Earth I realize that I have something else I can cross of my list of things to do.

Special thanks to the Nubian Princess for a great story and snapping the photos for the blog.

6 comments:

turdpolisher said...

you look like the old 70's batman scaling apartment buildings. got spandex?

Anonymous said...

Would scare me and I am getting way to old to be scared.

Senator's Forum said...

I don't think Adam West would let me borrow the suit senator.

It was a rush Mr. Lincoln, did you know?

Anonymous said...

U look like a special olympian, u goofy ass!! Ted

Senator's Forum said...

Xray even on the hoildays you are pathetic.

At least I had the balls to do it.

I heard they had to hold your hand on the way up. Was boo boo afraid of the tall building?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.