Sunday, June 22, 2008

DESTINATION: Omaha - The Final Day

Yes, yes, I know. It's not how it was suppose to end.
There was still life in the Purple & Gold. There was suppose to be one more miracle to be pulled off.
But it didn't happen. As the air was being sucked out of the building the faithful began showing signs of shock as reality was starting to set in. But let me take this time to ask you not to think about what might have been. As an alternative, let me ask you to think about what was.
Four years ago, this place was a distant memory. Three years ago the Baseball program wasn't on the radar. The program wasn't even relevant. Just five months ago the season seemed to be heading back into obscurity. The team was second to last in the conference. There were no thoughts of playing in the conference tournament let alone playing in the post season. Then something special happened.
A 23 game winning streak restored hope. Wins in the Regional and Super Regional conjured up memories of past success. Only one thing left to do, head up to Corn Husker Country and show the nation that LSU Baseball was back in the spotlight.
But this was more than filling the seats or appealing the fans with an autograph.
It was about bringing smiles to a children's faces.
It was about a team coming together not just to win a National Championship but to help bring a slice heaven to a family that went through a tough time.
It was about just enjoying the moment since tomorrow isn't promised to anyone.
And that's what I did. I've seen this place on TV for years. I remember '96 when Warren Morris hit that 3 Run, 2 Out, Bottom of the 9th Home Run to win the game and the title. I remember 2000 when LSU pulled off 3 unanswered runs against Stanford to win their 5th National Championship. JV and Winfery told me about this place. They told me that it's completely different when you are there in person. Man were they right.
From following the team around from practice to the games, to figuring out ways to keep all our video in order, to eating one of the best steaks in the country, and meeting some coolest people around. I enjoyed every second. And no matter if it was you first time there or you 100th pilgrimage I'm hoping that everyone did the same.
Am I upset that they lost the game, yeah a little. Will that dim the experience, not a chance.
I'm thankful they took me along for the ride. It's a good thing that we're heading home. We may have to start paying resident taxes pretty soon. As for the faithful remember there's always next year and maybe I'll be there to enjoy it too, did you know?

2 comments:

Lenslinger said...

Win or no win, you've provided excellent coverage, Senator.

Anonymous said...

now time for new posts lazy ass!!! xray ted